Situated in South-East Asia and bordering Thailand, Singapore and Indonesia, Malaysia is a nation with a diverse culture, rich in natural beauty and an abundance of wildlife. Malaysia is comprised of two parts, the Malay Peninsula in the West and East Malaysia, made up by Saba and Sarawak states, situated on Borneo Island.

There are approximately 28 million people living in Malaysia, the majority of which reside on peninsular West Malaysia. The capital city Kuala Lumpur (KL) is home to roughly seven million people. Away from the hustle and bustle of the cities, you’ll find stunning coastal plains leading to green hills and breathtaking mountains and some truly beautiful stretches of beach and coastline.


The vast population of Malaysia is made up of ethnic Malays, Chinese and Indians, along with expatriates from surrounding nations such as Thailand, Vietnam, the Philippines and Indonesia. This is also a sizeable influx of expatriates from Europe, North America and Australasia that gives parts of KL a western feel while also experiencing South East Asia.

Teaching in Malaysia

Teaching in Malaysia is an exciting and interesting choice. It is a country that is very friendly, laid back and never dull. Things move at a pace that most of us would regard as relaxed. With favourable pay, holiday allowance and public holidays, teachers tend to enjoy a very comfortable standard of living.
The cost of living can vary greatly depending on your lifestyle. Where you choose to live, eat and socialise can have a big impact on your ability to save money. The minimum wage in Malaysia is RM900 ($300) a month. While no one expects you to be as thrifty as the locals, this gives an indication of how cheap the cost of living can be.

TFA International School Jobs in Kuala Lumpur

Teachers For Asia work with a wide selection of top International Schools located in KL. We hire for all subject areas ranging from Maths and the Sciences, to PE, English Literature and Art, with everything in between. Many of our client schools teach through both the popular IB curriculum and the British IGCSE set up. We can go into more details on these during your skype consultation with our team.

Candidates must hold a professional Teacher Qualification and have previous relevant teaching experience, ideally more than two years teaching your chosen subject. Benefits in these schools are excellent with competitive salaries, professional training, accommodation and flights covered, long paid vacations along with many other benefits. The classroom dynamic is excellent as students at these schools are usually very focused and keen to prepare for entrance exams into the top Universities in Europe and US.

We have a support team on the ground in Malaysia who regularly visit our schools to ensure quality but this has never been an issue as the schools are very professional. You can check out our wide selection of subject teaching roles at these top tier schools in Malaysia coming up this year on our International School Jobs Board.

Requirements to Teach in Malaysia

To live and work in Malaysia, you will need to obtain a visa and work permit which will be applied for by your destination school on your behalf. Please note that all applicants applying to teach in Malaysia must be over 27 years of age. Visa processes and rules can change regularly so it is always advisable to consult with your nearest Malaysian consulate in your home country. The information below should be used as a guide only.

Applying for a Visa to Teach in Malaysia

All Teachers For Asia applicants need to provide the following documents when you apply to us or soon after your first interview with one of our recruitment team. If you have any questions about these documents, our recruiter will be happy to answer these for you.

  • 2 x Letters of recommendation from previous school/employer/professor (signed and scanned)
  • Separate photo attachment (friendly and professional head shot is best)
  • Scan of degree certificate(s)
  • Scan of passport info page
  • Scan of TEFL cert
  • Scan of your criminal background check

Upon completion of a successful interview with one of our team, the documents you provide will be sent to our client school in Malaysia. Your destination school in Malaysia will review your documents and Teachers For Asia interview results. The school will then request a second interview with you. If the school would like to hire you, a contract will be issued for your consideration. Sign and scan the contract and e-mail it back to the school to reserve your position.

The school will now be able to apply for a work permit to the immigration authorities in Malaysia on your behalf. If your work permit is approved, you will be sent a letter confirming this to be the case.


The letter from immigration will need to be delivered to your nearest Malaysian embassy in your home country. The embassy will put a single entry stamp in your passport. It can take several days to get the stamp. You can now travel to Malaysia. After you arrive in Malaysia on your single entry visa, you will soon be referred to the local immigration office to be issued with your full visa and working permit.

How To Apply.

If you’re still at home, getting your visa is probably your priority and the process takes a bit of time and effort (depending on which country you will be employed in of course).

We will advise you on every step and make it as stress free as possible. Suffice to say, once it’s done and you’re here you’ll wonder what you fretted about. It goes without saying that if you have any questions, please email us using our Contact us form on this site or directly through

So what exactly is a teaching Visa? This is what you will need to legally teach over here in Asia. It is usually valid for 12 months (the length of a standard contract) from the date of entry into the country and of course, it’s renewable.

In order to be eligible for this visa, teachers must hold a minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree (either 3 or 4 years) from an accredited University and be a citizen of one of the following English speaking countries – USA, Canada, Ireland, UK, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa.

Your visa will only allow you to work at the specific school which sponsors your visa. You cannot work at another school unless you receive a special permission from immigration on your visa. When you receive your visa, it may be a single-entry visa. If you wish to travel internationally from your base country here in Asia, as many teachers do, you will need to apply for a multiple reentry visa at the immigration office. This is very easy to obtain and usually doesn’t cost a lot.

Learn more about these locations:

Kuala Lumpur

Kuala Lumpur

And of course we are available for an informal skype chat once you get in touch with your details via our Contact Us section or simply email us at