To live and work in Vietnam, you will need a work visa. When you have signed a contract, the school will apply for a 3 month, single-entry, extendable work visa for you, which you may have to collect at the “Visa upon arrival” counter at the airport in Vietnam.

If so, they will email you a visa-on-arrival letter a week before departure to enable you to collect your visa. The school will generally require a scan of your passport and flight details in order to organize this.

Due to government regulations regarding work permits, you will need to bring with you:

• Your Bachelor’s degree certificate and a notarized, apostilled & legalized copy.
• Your original CELTA/TEFL certificate
• Your original clean police check certificate dated within 2 months of your start date, and a notarized, apostilled and legalized copy.

Documents need to be notarized, apostilled and legalized correctly in your country of origin. This process must be completed in your home country and cannot be done in Vietnam (as different rules apply for documents issued in other jurisdictions).

Immigration does not require an onward flight booking prior to entry with this type of visa, so you can purchase a one-way flight if you prefer. Many teachers do this as they have plans to remain in the region and travel after finishing their contract in Vietnam.