To live and work in Malaysia, you will need to obtain a visa and work permit which will be applied for by your destination school on your behalf. Please note that all applicants applying to teach in Malaysia must be over 27 years of age.

Visa processes and rules can change regularly so it is always advisable to consult with your nearest Malaysian consulate in your home country. The information below should be used as a guide only.

Visa Process

All Teachers For Asia applicants need to provide the following documents when you apply to us or soon after your first interview with one of our recruitment team. If you have any questions about these documents, our recruiter will be happy to answer these for you.

  • 2 x Letters of recommendation from previous school/employer/professor (signed and scanned)
  • Separate photo attachment (friendly and professional head shot is best)
  • Scan of degree certificate(s)
  • Scan of passport info page
  • Scan of TEFL cert
  • Scan of your criminal background check

Upon completion of a successful interview with one of our team, the documents you provide will be sent to our client school in Malaysia.

Your destination school in Malaysia will review your documents and Teachers For Asia interview results. The school will then request a second interview with you. If the school would like to hire you, a contract will be issued for your consideration. Sign and scan the contract and e-mail it back to the school to reserve your position.

The school will now be able to apply for a work permit to the immigration authorities in Malaysia on your behalf. If your work permit is approved, you will be sent a letter confirming this to be the case.

The letter from immigration will need to be delivered to your nearest Malaysian embassy in your home country. The embassy will put a single entry stamp in your passport. It can take several days to get the stamp. You can now travel to Malaysia.

After you arrive in Malaysia on your single entry visa, you will soon be referred to the local immigration office to be issued with your full visa and working permit.