With TFA, it can be as easy as 1-2-3!
Hi! I’m Sarah, Admin Manager here at Teachers For Asia. We are placing hundreds of qualified, experienced candidates into public schools, private academies, international schools and universities throughout Asia (China, South Korea and throughout South East Asia). We are also helping many fresh graduates with their first placement, so we have built up a lot of experience in this field.
As we visit every client school before we work with them and maintain regular contact with you throughout the duration of your contract, it ensures a smooth process and an enjoyable experience for all concerned.
Perhaps you are thinking of teaching in China this year? The thoughts of all the paperwork and the visa application can be enough to put some people off, even the most adventurous amongst you! However, putting yourself in the hands of an experienced Education recruitment agency like TFA can take the stress out of what can be a long process with a lot of small print to read!
If you are unsure of the basic steps involved in applying for a position and are keen to learn more, take a quick read below for a summary of how we generally guide you through each phase of the process.
- Take a few minutes to complete a simple application form on our website and we then set up a Skype interview with one of our experienced placement consultants (all have taught for many years themselves throughout Asia) to discuss your application and opportunities of interest to you.
- TFA then applies on your behalf to several schools in locations across China, providing a variety of options to you. The schools email you directly to set up interviews and it won’t be long before you’re having a Skype interview with a school in China direct from your kitchen at home!
- Once the school makes a decision (this can be a very soon after your interview), they will email you with a letter of offer and a copy of their standard contract to review. If you have any questions at all on this, it is a simple matter of emailing the contact person at the school. The team here at TFA are also only too happy to answer any of your queries.
- When you accept the position with the school (and return a scanned copy of the signed contract), they email you the list of documents required in order to commence the visa application process. These included reference letters, copies of your degree and TEFL certificates, passport information page, medical/health check and background check. It helps that this can just be done by emailing them scanned copies of all these documents – apart from the background check, the original of which has to be couriered to their office.
- The school then translate your documents and make an online visa application on your behalf. This takes about 2 weeks, after which you get the go-ahead to book your flight to China.
- The next step is again covered by the school; they take a hard copy of your application to the Foreign Affairs Bureau to apply for your Foreign Expert Certificate. This takes another 2 weeks to process and once this is issued, the school applies to the Public Security Bureau for your Residence Permit.
- The school then sends these 2 documents (Foreign Experts Certificate and Residence Permit) to you by courier and you head off to the Chinese Consulate/Embassy to get your degree authenticated (stamped) and to apply for your Z-type visa. A helpful tip is to download the forms to complete ahead of time as it’s easier to fill these in at home (you always feel more under scrutiny at embassies!)
- The Embassy/Consulate issues a one-month single-entry visa.
- The next step in this process is to email your flight details to the school and they arrange for their staff to meet you at the airport, which takes a lot of the stress out the journey! There’s nothing quite like arriving in a foreign country, tired and apprehensive, to find your name on a placard in the Arrivals hall and your friendly Chinese chauffeur awaiting you!
- Within a few weeks of arriving in China, the school helps you to change the visa to a multiple-entry, one-year Residence Permit. Job done!
So, as you can see, with an experienced, professional recruitment company like TFA to advise you, the application process can be plain-sailing! Give us a try – you won’t be disappointed!
For information on China and our other markets across Asia, check out our website for lots of useful information, tips from our teachers and interesting articles and to check out what jobs we have on offer right now, visit our Jobs page.